twitter

Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Library is a workplace

I just want to repeat what I said more rudely a few months ago. The University Library is a workplace for me and others. Since when do staff and patrons get to use a workplace to "pick up?" people who are trying to work there? If the patron leaves and moves to another library branch, isn't that enough of a hint that the patron only wants to work at the library? If those men were interested in my employment (who knows, I guess I can give them the benefit of the doubt so that I don't undermine any job offers I might get) I have an email address and a Linkedin account that they can use. Further proof - since the last time that I saw two of the men that I moved away from to go to another library branch I have published two papers that I worked on in the library and have had no interviews in the same period. So the library is therefore more of a workplace for me in terms of my CV than the actual workforce. Just like the Temporary Foreign Program is being discussed this week as undermining the employment of people already in Canada, I have to wonder at the motives of men who must know that I am looking for work but only motivate themselves to have me followed for non-employment reasons that also undermine my ability to work in the library and to move around freely.