A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
Glob Chang Biol. 2016 Dec 21. doi: 10.1111/gcb.13564. [Epub ahead of print]
Decadal shifts in autumn migration timing by Pacific Arctic beluga whales are related to delayed annual sea ice formation.
- 1School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, University of Washington, Box 355020, Seattle, WA, 98105, USA.
- 2Polar Science Center, Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, 1013 NE 40th Street, Seattle, WA, 98105, USA.
- 3Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98105, USA.
- 4North Slope Borough, Department of Wildlife Management, PO Box 69, Barrow, AK, 99723, USA.
- 5Freshwater Institute, Fisheries & Oceans Canada, 501 University Crescent, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N6, Canada.
© 2016 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
KEYWORDS:Beaufort Sea; Bering Sea; Chukchi Sea; cetacean; climate change; foraging ecology; marine mammal; passive acoustics; phenology; satellite telemetry